Instruction – Heritage Asset advice to inform a redevelopment and disposal strategy for St Bartholomew’s Hospital, Rochester
Client – NHS Property Services Ltd
Project Details – NHS Property Services Ltd (NHSPS) is responsible for achieving best value in the disposal of surplus estate. St Bartholomew’s Hospital is partly vacant and partly occupied as an in-patient facility. To inform NHSPS’ redevelopment and disposal strategy, LPP was engaged to advise on the heritage value and implications arising from rationalisation of buildings on the site. A Heritage Asset Assessment Report was prepared to identify the constraints and opportunities affecting the future redevelopment of the hospital site.
– Detailed site visit to assess the interior and exterior of the listed and unlisted buildings and structures within the hospital site and townscape value of the surrounding area
– Research into the site’s history and evolution of the hospital building complex
– Review of contemporary hospital designs
– Assessment of hospital’s heritage asset value and setting and its contribution to the character of conservation areas, in light of Historic England and Department of Culture, Media and Sport guidance
– Preparation of Heritage Asset Assessment Report and recommendations to inform NHSPS’ redevelopment and disposal strategy